Monday, November 25, 2013

In the kitchen: the very best oatmeal.

Cold and snowy (yes, it's snowing!) mornings call for hot breakfasts, ideally with baked goods. There's something special about a cozy kitchen turning out warm and comforting dishes to start the day. This isn't easy to do during the week, or in my case, weekends, because my blankets, pillows, and an extra 10 minutes in bed usually win. However, even when I've given in to the snooze button on the alarm, I still have time to make oatmeal and satisfy my craving for a toasty breakfast.

{via}

When I was little, my mom would make us oatmeal before school. While that doesn't sound particularly like an exciting breakfast, the way she made it was just the best. Keep in mind, this was during the early 90s, before everyone became obsessed with steel-cut oats and those silly brown paper packets with flavored instant "oatmeal" were everywhere. In our kitchen, though, regular old fashioned rolled oats did the trick. And now, as I've grown up (and admittedly, have joined the steel-cut oat obsessed...this is one of my favorite recipes), I still find that there aren't many better breakfasts around than my mom's recipe. This takes me right back to my kitchen in MN...where we'll be in just a few days! To say I can't wait is maybe the biggest understatement of the week.


Brown sugar oatmeal, for two. 
-------------------------
1 3/4 C. milk 
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt 
1 C. old fashioned oats 
Pinch of salt 
Toppings: pecans, raisins, cinnamon, heavy cream...really, anything you want. 

Combine milk, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer.

Add oats, stir to combine. Cook the oats for 3-5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Cover the saucepan, and let the oats steep for an additional 3 minutes.

Top with pecans, raisins, a pinch of cinnamon, and a spoonful of heavy cream. Enjoy with a giant mug of coffee, and savor the slow and hearty start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...