Friday, October 19, 2012

One year ago.


Today marks one year of having the best fiancé in the world. 


It was my fall break at law school, and we were taking advantage of the week off to get away to Chicago. While we had talked about getting engaged quite a while before taking this vacation, I didn't expect anything to happen because I knew Andrew doesn't love flying. There's no way, I thought, that he'd want to worry about the plane and the proposal over the same trip. 

We spent our first day wandering Chicago and eating pizza; the next day, after a rainy afternoon at the Chicago History Museum and a Chelsea Champions League game at Fado, we came back to our hotel to get ready for dinner at The Publican. The plan, as far as I knew it, was to have dinner there and then head out to Gilt Bar for fun drinks afterwards. It was awful outside: rainy, blustery, and cold. Since The Publican was a ways from our hotel, we took the bus over; while I didn't know what was going to happen, looking back on it now, I can't imagine how nervous Andrew must have been, as he had the ring in his pocket the whole time! 

After an incredible meal (including duck hearts, maybe the most memorable and delicious dish I've ever had), Andrew had the restaurant call a cab. Apparently, he told the driver of his plan and real destination, but when we got inside the taxi, I just assumed we were going to the bar; not knowing exactly where it was helped keep the surprise up until the very end. 

The cab let us out near the Michigan Avenue Bridge, a place with one of the best views of the city along the river. The rain had calmed down, it was only sprinkling, and we were the only people out on the bridge. At that point, I realized we probably weren't walking to the bar, and started to get really excited. As we walked onto the bridge, I knew what was going to happen. There, with no one out at all but us, Andrew asked me to marry him (and he did get down on one knee, even though it had been raining!). It was perfect, romantic, and made me the happiest I've ever been. We walked to the Wrigley building to step in from the rain, and the wonderful phone calls home began; I learned that everyone already knew, and had kept the secret from me. I'm still impressed that I never found out! 

So much has happened since that rainy night; we're in a new city, Andrew's in his Ph.D. program, I've graduated and passed the bar. I can't think of anyone else I would want to experience this with, and I'm so lucky to be Andrew's fiancée. 


Love you, duzhe, Driy, and I can't wait to marry you! 

Happy weekend, friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...