Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pumpkin doughnuts.


Andrew and I have yet to find a doughnut place we love in Milwaukee. When we first moved here, we went on a scouting adventure in an attempt to search for a bakery or store that would have our favorite doughnut available: maple long johns. And do you know who makes the best ones? Lunds. I never would've guessed that Lunds (a grocery store near our old apartment) would be our favorite place to go for doughnuts; I have no idea why I love these so much, but oh my goodness, they're so good. We've shopped around at the grocery stores and bakeries here but haven't found anything close to the maple ones from home. Sure, there are lots of regular doughnuts: chocolate glazed cake doughnuts, vanilla long johns, and even the fancier crullers; some might even argue these are better than Lunds. Nope. I don't believe you. 


This morning, I was trying to figure out what to do with my leftover pumpkin from when I made bread last week. Browsing online, I happened to come across this recipe; pleasantly surprised that I had almost everything on the ingredient list, I decided that these looked simple enough to make and could, just maybe, satisfy my craving for my maple doughnuts, at least for long enough until we're home next week. 




The recipe was really easy to follow. I only changed the glaze a bit, by reducing the amount of powdered sugar to 2/3 cup and adding some whole milk to create a smoother consistency. The tiny doughnut holes are the best - they remind me of the "munchkins" we used to get at Dunkin' Donuts when we were little.


I was also able to get more than nine doughnuts out of the recipe; I don't know if this is good or bad...and while they didn't quite taste like our maple favorites, they're a sweet fall treat that will be great with coffee over the next few days. 

P.S.: more pumpkin recipes here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...