Thursday, September 13, 2012

A rainy day.

Paris Street, A Rainy Day; Gustave Caillebotte. 

I love this painting; it's on display at the Chicago Art Institute and the photo is from our visit last fall. It reminds me of our weather today: chilly, grey, and wet.

While we're experiencing the not-so-nice side of fall at the moment, this weather makes me crave comfort foods: warm bread out of the oven, hearty stews, and pizza (yes, pizza is the ultimate comfort food!). We're making a deep-dish pizza tonight, with eggplant, pepperoni, and red pepper. Pictures to come later.

Having dinner covered, I was browsing for new ideas for fall breakfasts, and stumbled upon this recipe: baked pumpkin steel-cut oatmeal. I cannot wait to try this, as I love pumpkin-flavored anything; it also reminded me of mornings when I was little and my mom would make us kasha, or oatmeal in Ukrainian. She would stir in dried cherries and maple syrup to make it sweet. It was so, so good!

I'll be trying the pumpkin oats in the next few days, on a crisp fall morning. What are your favorite comfort foods? Is there a fall favorite you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...