Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ukrainian fashion, vintage.


Isn't this gorgeous? I found it yesterday while browsing The Sartorialist, a highly entertaining (and time-draining) site: photographer Scott Schuman takes pictures of men and women from New York to Paris, to Beunos Aires, to Florence. Focusing mainly on street-style and fashion shows, the website also features older "vintage photos," like the one above.

I simply adore this picture. Not only is it fun to admire their outfits, the couple is working some serious Ukrainian fashion. I love that you can just tell from the shot, and particularly by their expressions, that style was important to these people. Look at her embroidered capelet, the purse, and her hat, tipped just perfectly to the side; his neatly pressed suit and tie look so elegant. And she's wearing gloves! The photo reminded me of my grandmother a bit, a lady who, like the one above, was also all about fashion. One time, when I was little, she showed me a pair of her shoes she used to wear in Brazil: heeled leather sandals with straps that went all the way to the ankle and laced around it. So fancy, and so unlike what I was used to seeing her wear! I would LOVE to have a pair like that today (she had very small feet, so unfortunately the shoes were much too small for me)! It's fun to see that what was trendy and stylish a long time ago comes right back and is at the top of fall's "must-have list;" plaid pattern pants, anyone (1969 Vogue and Michael Kors Fall 2012 Runway)? 

Can you tell I want to go shopping? Fall fashion is just too hard to resist! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...