Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The art of hanging art.


So far, most of our walls in the living room are completely blank, except for my goddaughter's drawing that she gave us before we moved. It's called Ferris Wheel, and I absolutely adore it. But because we have lots of wall space throughout the apartment, there definitely need to be more pictures hung up. Hanging art helps any space feel more inviting and complete, but I find that I'll often leave frames on the floor for weeks, trying to figure out where they'd look best. 


Hanging art is something I've never, ever liked. Frankly I'm surprised that we have anything up on our walls, considering it's only been about four weeks since we've moved. Commiserating with friends who have also recently moved, I discovered that hanging anything seems to be a common enemy for us. Not only do you have to make sure every piece is even, angled correctly, and fills up the appropriate amount of space on the wall, you must also hammer in that nail in exactly the right spot or risk everything looking lopsided and mismatched (and not the cool, fun mismatched in these photos, but the really messy, not-at-all-meant-to-go-together mismatched).  Plus, we haven't had the greatest record when it comes to hanging pictures in the past; plenty of holes in rented apartment spaces aren't likely to make landlords happy. 

While browsing for inspiration (and help), I found these lovely shots from Domino. I could get lost on that site, there are so many beautiful ideas for the home. Also, this one from Apartment Therapy. 


But one of the best hints I found was this, also from Apartment Therapy, which just might help me get over my aversion to hanging pictures. I will be trying this out in the next few days (or, let's not pretend, weeks...), it's genius!

What do your walls look like? Are they filled with favorite photos and family memories? Do you have one giant frame, or do you hang eclectic art pieces that mix style, color, subject matter, but match just enough? Pass along any ideas, I'm curious to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...